Mike KUSNIRIK(1-2) was born on 27 September 1867 in Yugoslavia.(3-6) He immigrated between 1885 and 1900.(5-6) Mike KUSNIRIK and Elizabeth CHINTALA(6) were married about 1892.(5-7) The 1910 Census states Mike immigrated in 1885 and was an "Al" (alien); however, the 1920 Census states Mike immigrated in 1900 and was "Na" (naturalized). Before settling in Wyoming, Mike and Elizabeth lived in Montana, where their first child was born.(6) Mike appeared in the census in 1910 in Frontier, Wyoming living with his wife Elizabeth and their six children and two male boarders.(6) Mike appeared in the census in 1920 at Election District 8 in Lincoln County, Wyoming with his wife and six children.(5) He died in a gas explosion in Frontier No. 1 coal mine on 14 August 1923 at the age of 55 in Frontier, Wyoming.(3-4) He was buried on 17 August 1923 in Kemmerer, Wyoming.(3-4) Ten days after his death, Mike’s family printed the following words in The Kemmerer Republican:
These few weak words of heartfelt thanks are extended to those kindly souls who assisted us in many ways during our sad bereavement in the loss of our husband and father, Mike Kusnirik, in the horror of August 14. Especially do we thank the members of the K. of C. U.M.W. of A., and all others who by word or deed assisted us in bearing our burden.
MRS. MIKE KUSNIRK AND FAMILY(9)
Mike was survived by his wife and six dependent children ranging in age from 15 to 4 years old.(2)
1. Kemmerer Republican, (Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming), 24 August 1923, page 1, microfilm; Lincoln County Library, 519 Emerald Street, Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming 83101.
2. Sneddon Robert T. Inspector (Dist 1) & Robert V. Hotchkiss Inspector (Dist2), "State Coal Mine Inspectors Of Wyoming, Districts No. 1 and 2," year: 1923; report, 1923; Wyoming State Archives, Cheyenne, Wyoming.
3. Mike Kusnerik, death certificate file no. 1456 (14 August 1923), State of Wyoming, Wyoming State Archives, 2301 Centeral Avenue, Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001.
4. Cemetery-Headstone, Kemmerer City Cemetery, Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming. Personal photograph, property of and in possession of Roberts Roots & Branches, of headstone taken between 2000 and 2003., Mike Kusnirik.
5. 1920, population schedule, Year: 1920; Census Place: Election District 8, Lincoln, Wyoming; Roll: T625_2027; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 63, family of Mike Kusanik; digital images, Ancestry.com (: 11 February 2018 11 February 2018); Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch..
6. 1910, , population schedule, Year: 1910; Census Place: Frontier, Uinta, Wyoming; Roll: T624_1747; Page: 4B; Enumeration District: 0129; FHL microfilm: 1375760, family of Mike Kusnirik; digital images, Ancestry.com (: accessed 11 February 2018); Ancestry.com. 1910 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006.
7. Michael J. Kusnirik, 520031615, , Ancestry.com. U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007, Ancestry.com. U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015., . death date: 1 Jul 2000.
8. Findagrave (Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming), Ancestry.com, Findagrave, digital image (: online 13 February 2018), Elizabeth Kusnirik # 44016498.
9. Kemmerer Republican, (Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming), 24 August 1923, page 5, microfilm; Lincoln County Library, 519 Emerald Street, Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming 83101.