Juha Kustall ”John” SAGER Sr.(1–3) was born on 19 November 1864 in Finland.(2,4–5) John married Sanna Kaisa “Katie” Yimacen in about 1886 and he immigrated about 1889.(5,7) He appeared in the census in 1900 in Southside, Sweetwater, Wyoming with his wife, Katie and son.(5) John appeared in the census in 1920 in Lincoln County, Wyoming with his wife, son and two daughters.(6) In 1920 John, Sr. and his son, John, Jr., were both working as a coal miners.(5) John, aged 58, and his son John, Jr., aged 24, were both killed in a gas explosion in Frontier No. 1 coal mine on 14 August 1923 in Frontier.(4) The sad news was so much that Miss Sophia Sager, daughter of John and Katie, and sister to John, Jr., grief threatened her recovery from what ailment there is no indication.(8) Both John and his son were buried on 17 August 1923 in the Kemmerer City Cemetery.(4,7) Katie Sager and her two daughters published the following Card of Thanks in the local newspaper:
“Words fail us when we meekly attempt to express our sincere and heartfelt thanks to our kind friends and neighbors for their many deeds of kindness and comforting words, which served to a large degree to assuage our terrible affliction in the untimely and sudden loss of our dear father, son, brother and husband, John Sager, Sr., and John Sager, Jr.; especially do we thank their lodge brethren for their manifestations of sympathy; also the donors of the beautiful flowers, in fact to all who showed the beautiful spirit of brotherly love. Their kindness shall never be forgotten.
MRS. JOHN SAGER AND DAUGHTERS”(9)
At the time of the accident, Sophia, was about 22 years old and was working as a postal clerk at the Frontier post office and Martha was about 18 years old.(8,6)
1. Kemmerer Republican, (Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming), 24 August 1923, page 1, microfilm; Lincoln County Library, 519 Emerald Street, Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming 83101.
2. Findagrave (Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming), Ancestry.com, Findagrave, digital image (: online digital 3 March 2018), Juha Kustall "John" Sager, Sr. Find A Grave Memorial# 44238223.
3. Sneddon Robert T. Inspector (Dist 1) & Robert V. Hotchkiss Inspector (Dist2), "State Coal Mine Inspectors Of Wyoming, Districts No. 1 and 2," year: 1923; report, 1923; , Wyoming State Archives on microfilm, Cheyenne, Wyoming.
4. John Sager, Sr., death certificate file no. 1427 (14 August 1923), State of Wyoming, Wyoming State Archives, 2301 Central Avenue, Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001.
5. 1900, population schedules, Year: 1900; Census Place: Southside, Sweetwater, Wyoming; Page: 20; Enumeration District: 0055, John Sager; digital images, Ancestry.com (online : online digital 3 March 2018); Ancestry.com. 1900 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
6. 1920, population schedule, Year: 1920; Census Place: Election District 8, Lincoln, Wyoming; Roll: T625_2027; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 63, John Sager Sr.; digital images, Ancestry.com (: digital online 3 March 2018); Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.