|All that is left of Frontier Mine No. 1 in 2000|
(picture by jrobertslott)
|General View Frontier Coal Mine, Kemmerer Coal Company|
Facts in 1923:
- First opened about 1897
- Owned and operated by the Kemmerer Coal Company
- over a mile in length, with a 16 degree pitch
- 31 entries, the last being a sump
- Three pumps conveyed the water to the surface, and are operated at full time during the spring season, but about half time the rest of the year
- The mine is worked on the room and pillar system
- Production of the No. 1 mine before the accident was between 600 and 700 tons per day.
- Most of the coal production was used by the Oregon Short Line Railroad.
The Kemmerer Republican, Friday, August 17, 1923, page 1
Kemmerer Coal Company, "Capturing Energy, For more than eighty years...and still growing.", Frontier, Wyoming 83121, no pagi.