Eino E. ERICKSON(1,2) was born on 29 May 1902 in Sweden to Matti ERICKSON and Brieta who were from Finland.(3,4,5) Eino appeared in the census in 1920 in Maynard, Massachusetts along with his parents. According to the census, Eino immigrated in 1910 and was an alien.(5) In 1920 Eino and Matti, his father, were working for a woolen company, Eino was a yard laborer and Matti was a carder.(5) Within the next three years Eino and Matti settled in Frontier, Wyoming where they were employed with the Kemmerer Coal Company as coal miners.(1,2,3)
Eino, aged 21, and his father died in a gas explosion in Frontier No. 1 coal mine on 14 August 1923.(3,4) The day of Eino’s funeral the following snippet was printed in the local newspaper:
Another sad incident connected with the explosion is that of Mrs. Matt Erickson, who lost her husband and son, her only living relatives in America. The bereaved widow was prostrated with grief, and no sadder spectacle ever was witnessed than that depicted when the sheets were lifted from the faces of her husband and son, lying in the morgue.(6)
Eino was buried next to his father, on 17 August 1923 in Kemmerer, Wyoming.(4,3) He never married.(3)
1. Kemmerer Republican, (Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming), 24 August 1923, page 1, microfilm; Lincoln County Library, 519 Emerald Street, Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming 83101.
2. Sneddon Robert T. Inspector (Dist 1) & Robert V. Hotchkiss Inspector (Dist2), "State Coal Mine Inspectors Of Wyoming, Districts No. 1 and 2," year: 1923; report, 1923; , Wyoming State Archives on microfilm, Cheyenne, Wyoming.
3. Eino Erickson, death certificate file no. 1474 (14 August 1923), State of Wyoming, Wyoming State Archives, 2301 Central Avenue, Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001.
4. Cemetery-Headstone, Kemmerer City Cemetery, Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming. Personal photograph, property of and in possession of Roberts Roots & Branches, of headstone taken between 2000 and 2003., Matt & Eino E. Erickson, headstone.
5. 1920 , population schedule, Year: 1920; Census Place: Maynard, Middlesex, Massachusetts; Roll: T625_714; Page: 20A; Enumeration District: 306, Matti Erickson family including Eino Erickson; digital images, Ancestry.com (: online digital 7 March 2018); Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.6. Kemmerer Republican, (Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming), 17 August 1923, page 2, microfilm; Lincoln County Library, 519 Emerald Street, Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming 83101.