George BERTA(1,9) was born on 4 February 1894 in Montleghe, Italy to Pietro “Pete” and Theresa.(2,5) At 17 years old and 5’5”, a brown-haired and brown-eyed George immigrated on 22 November 1910 arriving in New York with Giovanni Berta (age 32), Pietro Berta (age 25) and Guiseppe Berta (age 35).(5,6) George left Havre, Italy and sailed on the ship Chicago.(5) At age 23 George was a peddler working in Mohrland, Utah where he submitted draft registration cards for WWI on 5 June 1917 in Emery County, Utah.(4) George appeared in the census in 1920 in Winter Quarters, Carbon, Utah, living as a boarder and working as a coal miner.(6) George BERTA and Rose BARONETTO(7) were married on 22 February 1922 in Salt Lake City, Utah.(7,8) After their marriage, George and Rose moved to Frontier, Wyoming, where George was employed by the Kemmerer Coal Company as a coal miner.(1,9) Eighteen months after his marriage, George died in a gas explosion in Frontier No. 1 coal mine on 14 August 1923 at the age of 29.(2,3) He was buried on 18 August 1923 in the Kemmerer City Cemetery.(2,3)
(1) Kemmerer Republican, (Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming), 24 August 1923, page 1, microfilm; Lincoln County Library, 519 Emerald Street, Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming 83101.
(2) George Berta, death certificate file no. 1473 (14 August 1923), State of Wyoming, Wyoming State Archives, 2301 Centeral Avenue, Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001.
(3) Cemetery-Headstone, Kemmerer City Cemetery, Kemmerer, Lincoln, Wyoming. Personal photograph, property of and in possession of Roberts Roots & Branches, of headstone taken between 2000 and 2003., George Berta.
(4) "U.S. World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918," digital, Ancestry.com. U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005., Ancestry.com (: online digital 23 July 2011), George Berta; citing United States, Selective Service System. World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. Washington, D.C.:, Registration State: Utah; Registration County: Emery; Roll: 1983884.
(5)"New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," online digital, FamilySearch, Familysearch.org (: online digital 5 March 2018), "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924", database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJ6M-T2F : 30 January 2018), Giorgio Berta, 1910..
(6) 1920, population schedule, Year: 1920; Census Place: Winter Quarters, Carbon, Utah; Roll: T625_1862; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 39, George Berta; digital images, Ancestry.com (: online digital 18 July 2011); Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch..
(7) Marriage Records, Western States Marriage Record Index, BYU/Idaho Special Collections, Rexberg, Idaho, online. firstname.lastname@example.org, ID#686191.
(8) George Berta, (23 February 1922), Utah, Select Marriages, 1887-1966: FHL#429110 reference ID#cn39193; [database on-line], Provo, UT, USA.
(9) Sneddon Robert T. Inspector (Dist 1) & Robert V. Hotchkiss Inspector (Dist2), "State Coal Mine Inspectors of Wyoming, Districts No. 1 and 2," year: 1923; report, 1923; Wyoming State Archives on microfilm, Cheyenne, Wyoming.