Rescue Crews

1941 mine rescue equipment
(photo taken 2013 jrobertslott)

Rescued from the Mine
This is a list of miners rescued from the Frontier Mine No.
  1. Amaties, Frank
  2. Anderson, Ed
  3. Babush, Tony
  4. Batta, Valentine
  5. Bernardo, August
  6. Bertot, Thomas
  7. Bott, Sam
  8. Damonte, Joe
  9. Damori, Aldo
  10. Damori, Joe
  11. Duchio, Joe
  12. Fanise, V.
  13. Fukumutsu, M.
  14. Hakala, August
  15. Inama, Alec
  16. Itow, S.
  17. Kastagna, Albert
  18. Konma, T.
  19. Kuffa, Ignatz
  20. Miks, V.
  21. Nagi, Joe
  22. Nepote, Pete
  23. Nishi, K.
  24. Niska, Henry
  25. Noji, A.
  26. Ogliesa, Tony
  27. Pavlisin, John
  28. Pavlisin, Mike
  29. Phillips, Clifford
  30. Pozzi, A.
  31. Pustay, Mike
  32. Rameselli, Joe
  33. Stansbury, E.
  34. Tapero, Pete
  35. Testi, August
  36. Tono, S.
  37. Worhal, John
The Kemmerer Republican, August 17, 1923, page 1

Three Rescued at Noon
Trip after trip went into the mine, and at the noon hour the first men rescued, three in number, were brought up from the 28th entry, half dead, but fresh air soon revived them.  These were Matt Passi, Joe Ramselli and Aldo Demori.  By this time a crowd of perhaps a thousand people had gathered at the mouth of the mine, scores being relatives of the entombed miners, waiting for words of reassurance.

Rapidly the rescue work continued, but no dead bodies were removed during the day in consideration of the loved ones, as it would only have added to the hysteria and delayed the work of rescuing those alive.

29 More at 2:30 p.m.
At noon probably a hundred rescuers were in the mine, the experts of all the surrounding camps having arrived to assist, and the work progressed rapidly.  At 2:30 p.m. a trip arrived with 29 miners, alive and apparently unharmed, which brought a rousing cheer from the multitude whose hopes were raised for the remainder underground, but only three more alive were brought forth--between 5 and 6 p.m., when it was announced that it wasn't probable that any more would be reached alive.  However, hopes were entertained, and steady search for two hours proved conclusively that the last miner alive was on the surface.  In all, 37 of the 136  that had entered the mine that morning.  Every entry had been explored, as well as every room.

Mine Rescue Car
At 1:30 p.m. the Bureau of Mines rescue car, No. 2, that figured in the Dawson disaster last winter, arrived on the scene with more apparatus, that never was needed.  Accompanying the regular crew was Thomas Gibson, head of the Safety First department of the U.P. Coal Company, and they lent assistance, especially Mr. Gibson, in directing many of the operations.  This car had left Kemmerer at 4 a.m. Tuesday morning and was intercepted at Rock Springs.  It ran back as a special, making a mile a minute speed.

P.J. Quealy and Tom Jaicoletti, check weighman, directed operations above ground, assisted by the sheriff's force and the Kemmerer police is keeping the crowd away from the mine entry.  Physicians and nurses stood in readiness to render a service that was very little needed, as all expecting a few revived when they reached the fresh air.  Only one miner a Japanese, was removed to the hospital after a pulmotor was used upon him at the mine mouth.  He has recovered.  The reminder of the rescued were able to walk away from the awful scene.
The Kemmerer Republican, 17 August 1923, page 1.

Most Deadly Gas
White damp, most rare in mines developed after Tuesday's explosion, according to members of the Cumberland rescue crew, and which was almost overcome at one time.  Black damp, a few breaths of which is fatal, develops after all explosions, but white damp far more deadly is rare.  Throughout the day and night of rescue, the men were threatened with gases, and only helmeted rescuers were allowed to go into the more dangerous places.
Kemmerer Republican, Friday, 17 August 1923, page 2.

Slightly Injured
William Allen, night foreman of No. 1 mine, in which the explosion occurred Tuesday, was the only one of the rescue crew that was injured, but he did not let it interfere with his work.  Tuesday night while in one of the lower entries, a fall of rock struck him on the head, cutting a large gash, which bled profusely.  He was taken to the surface, where his wound was dressed, after which he immediately re-entered the mine.  Allen entered the ill-fated mine less than an hour after the blast, and worked almost continuously until the last man was brought forth at 1 o'clock a.m. yesterday.
The Kemmerer Republican, Friday, August 17, 1923.

Heroic Rescue Work
No braver men ever went over the top than those who comprised the first rescue crew to enter No.1 mine Tuesday morning after the explosion.  They knew not what might await them.  They ran the danger of suffocation or further explosions.  One of the first on the scene from the outside was T.C. Russell, superintendent of the Diamond Coal & Coke Co.  He led the first rescue party, and stayed within the mine until in the afternoon.  Encountering gas in the slope, Russell laid on his back at times as he gave orders to the men working off the slope in the entries.
The Kemmerer Republican, Friday, August 17, 1923.
The Advantage of Training
The advantage of mine rescue and safety first instruction was shown at the mine Tuesday.  Only experts and those trained in this work entered the mine, for no one knew
Kemmerer Republican, Friday, 17 August 1923, page 2.

Wyoming Mine Heroes to be Given Medals
Two Frontier Men Are Cited for Bravery by Safety Association; Saved Lives of 21.
Washington, March 7--Hero medals and diplomas have been received by the Joseph A. Holmes Safety association for five miners whose acts in the relief of their comrades stood out most prominently in last year's mine disaster.  One of the awards, which are bestowed annually by the association, will be made posthumously.

The deeds for which they are cited follow:
Mike Pavlisin and Clifford Phillips of Frontier, Wyo., who by "prompt and courageous action" were responsible for saving the lives of 21 fellow workers after an explosion in the Frontier No. 1 mine of the Kemmerer Coal company, Kemmerer, Wyo. on Aug. 14,  1923, which resulted in the death of 99 men.  
(note:  this is only a portion of the entire article)
The Billings Gazette, March 8, 1924, page 5.